Re: [ARSCLIST] CD versus Download was "All hail the analogue revolution..."

On 04/10/06, Steven Barr wrote:

> Finally, I wonder if "western" music is finally reaching a
> "point of no return," where virtually everything that can be
> played (accepting the standard "givens" of such music) has
> already BEEN played! I'm waiting for some new musical form,
> as different as rock'n'roll was to bland fifties pop, or
> swung to the sweet, Lombardo-ish dance sound of the early
> thirties, or ragtime to the sentimental ballads of the
> Victorian era...to anything that has gone before. So far,
> all I have heard are old ideas relentlessly recycled.
> But...IS there anything left that won't repeat what has
> already been done?!

There is a great deal of music around that has no resemblance at all to
rock or to rock and roll.

For example, the music compiled entirely on computers, using samples in
the same way as collage was used by artists.

And I don't think you will hear any rock'n'roll in the average club
today. Look at the outputs from Fruity Loops, Reason, Cubase, etc. Or
the work of DJs and VJs. Or the Hip-Hop/Rap battle scene.
http://www.wikihow.com/Survive-a-Freestyle-Rap-Battle

Or if you prefer acoustic instruments, there is a big range of curent
African styles.

Then, there is British Asian music.

Is anyone archiving current music?

Regards