Re: [ARSCLIST] Warsaw Concerto / STINSON SLP 38 / SCHWANN Catalog

Mike Richter wrote:

> Thomas Stern wrote:
> > I have received the following citation in response to an inquiry on
> > another forum concerning STINSON LP's.
> > May 1955 Schwann catalog lists Stinson 38 (p. 128) as:
> > Concert?Warsaw Concerto, etc. (piano, organ, violin)
> > It seems unusual that a classical selection should appear in a series of
> > folk-blues-jazz recordings, so I wonder
> > if anyone can confirm or counter this information.
> > Did the Warsaw Concerto, and other classical titles appear on
> > Asch/Disc/Stinson 78's or lp's?
> > If someone has the referenced Schwann catalog, can they confirm the
> > listing, or the existence of a different Stinson label, or
> > a mis-interpretation of the label cited?
> > Many Thanks!
> > Thomas.
> >

> The Warsaw Concerto is rarely (if ever) considered a "classical" work.
> That is not necessarily snobbishness since in neither form nor content
> is it more than a popular piece in classical guise.
>
> I do not have that Schwann, but the January 1955 and 1956 editions list
> only the Smokey Mountain Suite for Addinsell, no Warsaw Concerto at all.
>
> Mike
> --
> mrichter@xxxxxxx
> http://www.mrichter.com/

Nothing snobbish about it..the Warsaw Concerto is an embarrassingly bad and
catchy and kitschy piece of crap. Not as big a piece of crap as the Cornish
Rhapsody which was the Warsaw Concerto played sideways. Anyway, the July 1958
Schwann lists the Smokey Mountain Suite played by Leo Litwin on Boston 500 and
8 or 9 WCs on various labels, no Stinson. Earlier Schwanns list only the Smokey
Mountain Suite. WC is probably somewhere in the back under "Collections" or
"Popular".

dl