Re: [ARSCLIST] fwd: Everything Louder Than Everything Else : Have the loudness wars reached their final battle?

I would like to comment that I had great pleasure today listening to some things on the car CD player...it's been several years since I did a marathon drive -- so far 1900 miles in 3 days: Toronto to Evanston, WY (Just before the drop into Salt Lake City which I'll do tomorrow AM on my way to the AES conference in San Francisco).

Anyway, I was listening to some tapes of 1946 Bing Crosby and Burl Ives shows and it just sounded great in the car. On some later (1950s/60s) classical material, I had to ride gain -- but since it was Sunday morning, I put on a CD reissue of Leontyne Price with the St. Thomas Church choir recorded before I recorded there by RCA in the mid 1960s IIRC. It sounded really, really good.

Finally, some simply mic'd stuff that someone had sent me of some filk music kept me going (also with my finger on the skip button, however). The good stuff was good (and the awful stuff was...).

Just one man's taste--how to keep me amused and awake for almost 700 miles today. I think long-distance truck driver is a career I won't venture into. I like the road, but a little goes a long way today. Nice fall colours in Nebraska and Wyoming (where there are trees).

Cheers,

Richard