To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, September 30, 2006 12:00 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] sticky goop on a CD container

Tom -

How comfortable are CDs in the vicinity of acetone?

David Hamilton

-----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Tom Fine Sent: Saturday, September 30, 2006 10:47 AM To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] sticky goop on a CD container

Check your local drug store. I picked up a large bottled of 99.99% acetone
instead of
fragrance-flavored nail polish remover, which also might contain oils to
mask the acetone and
mitigate the skin-drying effects. This stuff is called "Pure Acetone Nail
Polish Remover" and I
believe I got it at CVS. The 0.01% is that chemical that's in there to
prevent people from using it
for suicides. As I understand it, the chemcial is harmless to fingernails or
whatever else you're
using the acetone on but it tastes gag-worthy even in 0.01% dillution.

In any case, this stuff is my go-to cleaner for grease and Sharpie and glue
on most surfaces.

As I'm sure you know, keep that acetone-soaked rag well ventillated and keep
it far away from your
78 disks (and probably LPs wouldn't like it too much either).

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Lennick" <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>