Re: [ARSCLIST] Reel-to-reel preservation supplies?

Hi ,

I'd add that the Ampex alignment tapes were recorded on durable 1.5 mil
stock as oposed to 1 or .50 mil, which could take an indent where the
slot would fall especially if not leadered sufficiently..

It's how I think, no insult intended.

BH

Robert Hodge,
Senior Engineer
Belfer Audio Archive
Syracuse University
222 Waverly Ave .
Syracuse N.Y. 13244-2010

315-443- 7971
FAX-315-443-4866

Steven Smolian <smolians@xxxxxxxxx> wroye:
>Theoretically the indent is bad.  However, if you use enough leader
tape to
>do a good job otherwise, it should be ok for slots.

My 1962 Ampex alignment tape came on a slotted large hub 7" reel. It
shows no damage and plays perfectly today.

It's far more important to leader the ends so they won't break off than
to worry about slots. In fact '60s era 10.5" reels also had slots and as
far as I understand they only went away because it was more expensive
than leaving them off.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051    http://www.hyperback.com