Re: [ARSCLIST] CD versus Download was "All hail the analogue revolution..."

Try www.yourmusic.com for cheap. Another variation on the record club, but it works for me this time 'round.

Don Cox wrote:
On 25/09/06, Karl Miller wrote:
On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 Mwcpc6@xxxxxxx wrote:

There is a big difference between the mass market and the music
market.

Even as a teenager I appreciated the notes on the classical LPs I
borrowed
from the library and even researched composers and orchestras.

However also as a teenager I taped the "Top 40" off the air and
played the
songs in the order they accumulated on the reel of my home tape
recorder,
without any interest in the context.
Which reminds me of a discussion I had over lunch on Saturday...

I wonder if the classical market is less suited to the download. No
doubt, economics will be, to a large part, the determining
factor...but I consider how classical discs have, from time to time,
cost more. Plus I look to the popularity of labels like Brilliant
where collections of the "complete" are popular...especially at what
they charge.

They charge less for good quality CDs than most people charge for downloads. I guess the saving is in inventory and shipping costs - a box of five CDs costs no more to handle and store than a single CD.

I bought several of their boxes, and really the only "cheapness" is that
the discs are in card sleeves, not in jewel cases. But EMI sell box sets
like this too, for not much more.

About half of Brilliant's discs are licensed and half are their own
productions, mainly using Dutch artists.

Their "Complete Mozart" box of 170 CDs for about 100 UKP is something
that almost any school or college could use.

I also think about the nature of classical music with its wide dynamic
range and the complexity of sound.

Any thoughts out there as to whether there might be a potential for
the CD staying with us a bit longer for classical music versus popular
music?

I think it is highly likely, partly because buyers tend to be older. I think SACD will probably be largely used for classical music too, although big band jazz tapes (Ellington etc) would also benefit from SACD transfers.

Regards