Re: [ARSCLIST] CD versus Download was "All hail the analogue revolution..."

Tom Fine wrote:
>I hate to say this, but I think 5" commercially-produced discs (audio and
>video) have a ticking
>clock.

I don't expect that packaged media is going away nearly as fast as many assume. The packaging and overall quality just need to improve to the point that they offer enough perceived value to be considered worth giving as a gift much like the role the LP played back in the 1950s. Too many in our industry began treating albums as if they were singles during the 1980s and it is this lack of care in the creation of albums that has come back around and bit everybody.

Part of the problem lies in recording artists having been handed total creative control before they could learn how to create a truly compelling package. A bunch of it has also been the influence of lawyers and accountants trying to maximize both the labels' and the artists' income at the expense of the quality of the audience's experience with the product.

Myself, I see it all as a heck of an opportunity much like that in the early 1950s.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051    http://www.hyperback.com