Re: [ARSCLIST] "All hail the analogue revolution..."

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karl Miller" <lyaa071@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> When listening on a properly adjusted acoustic machine, I find an almost
> "unearthly" realism in the quality of the sound of a well done
> acoustic recording...within the context of its limited frequency and
> dynamic range...once I can tune out the surface noise. True, each
> reproducer and horn will add coloration to the sound, but I still do find
> it remarkable. Is it hi-fi...well, I guess that within the range of what
> it could do, the fidelity was quite remarkable...at least to these ears.

Well...consider what the early listeners must have thought! When the first
practical "talking machines" appeared in the early 1890's, that was the
first time it had ever been possible to "catch and save" sound! Before
that point, a musical performer played or sang...and once the last sound
had died away, the performance was lost permanently, as though it had
never occured...