Re: [ARSCLIST] Non-RIAA preamp

The highly-skilled Richard Hess wrote:
>If you're going to re-pitch a recording in software, perhaps this is
>a good reason to apply the curve in software, using a flat preamp for
>the transfer. That way, the curve is applied after the pitch is
>corrected.

This is my MO and I would recommend it to anyone.  Vari-speed before the
RIAA filter can result in some large (2dB or more) excursions from "flat"
depending upon the amount of vari-speed.

>Now, of course, do we know the precise tuning of the
>original? A=440? Maybe? Maybe not.

Well, I try to find out.  Depending upon contemporaneous performance
practices or known proclivities of musicians (Leonard Slatkin prefers
A442, for example), you can make an educated guess.  Otherwise, I will
find an A and match it to 440.  If it requires more than a slight
adjustment, I will investigate further if time permits.  Otherwise, I will
do two versions: A440 and whatever the thing plays at using a standard
speed.

Am I giving away too many secrets?  ;-)

Chas.

--
Charles Lawson <clawson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Professional Audio for CD, DVD, Broadcast & Internet