Re: [ARSCLIST] Non-RIAA preamp

Actually, most IIR filters DO introduce phase shifts.  Design criteria
determine how that phase-shift is used to affect the sound quality.  Most
equalizers in WaveLab, Sound Forge, Sadie, etc, are IIR filters that are
emulating "analog-like" equalizers.  Musical sounding equalizers like Neve,
Focusrite, etc. all have phase shift.  A big part of that "analog emulation"
is precisely recapturing the phase shift in certain frequency ranges.

FIR equalizers are usually advertised as Linear Phase or FIR filters - and
they are usually purchased separately because there function is slightly
different.  Waves, has at least one.  Cube-Tec has a couple...

My mistake on the purpose of the original query - I didn't see that Jeff was
talking about RIAA curves, but now that I re-read his message, I see that he
certainly implies it.  So I can address this directly:

The only digital tool that I know of that creates recording emphasis curves
and emulates phase response, is the Cube-Tec Playback-EQ.  This is a VST
plug-in that faithfully reproduces the analog circuits of over 20 different
playback equalizer/transfer curves including RIAA/CCIR, the various NAB and
IEC curves, and a long list of very specific historical transfer functions
used throughout recorded history.

The research was done along with one of the large German universities and
some German broadcasters.  Aside from the presets, you can also create your
own modified versions, in case the original recording EQ was poorly
calibrated.  It will also invert to create the original pre-emphases
functions.

Read more here: http://www.cube-tec.com/vpis/restorationvpis/playbackeq.html

Of course, you need an AudioCube to run these plug-ins...

Cheers!

Rob Poretti
Sascom - Toronto
vox.905.825.5373    fax.905.469.1129     cel.905.580.2467
www.sascom.com <http://www.sascom.com/>