To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 2:16 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Preservation media WAS: Cataloguing still :-)

I have a copy,of a famous Lp,called "Music From Mathematics" (Decca 9103),of music made by the IBM 7090
http://www.317x.com/albums/i/IBM/card.html ,that dates from 1961,that claims to be the first digitally recorded record. As for Soundstream,I thought they were a competing system,being developed at the same time,as the Philips/Sony one,sort of like VHS vs Beta,but it seems they were the first.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soundstream
Roger Kulp
Tom Fine <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: I think there were digital-original LPs early than 1978 but I might be wrong. I think 2-track PCM
recording onto videotape was possible before that and I think Soundstream had invented their
instrumentation-recorder-based system before that.

Actually -- perhaps the first digital-original recording was the Bell Labs mini-LP showing off their
voice-synthesis computer, circa early or mid 1960's.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Lennick"
Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 6:17 PM

Wasn't the first LP from digital originals an Odyssey release (c. 1978) of flute
sonatas, recorded in Japan a couple of years earlier? I remember that info being
proclaimed on the jacket. Telemann flute sonatas or trio sonatas or something
along those lines.

Gawd those first "Digital!" lps from Angel, London and DGG were ghastly..Angel's
were also low level, not what we needed in those days of lousy vinyl.

dl

David Lewiston wrote:

Um. Somewhat before that, I'm pretty sure.

I recall sitting with Tracey Sterne while she was still at Nonesuch (Warner
fired her in '79) and hear her bitch about the atrocious unmusicality of the
new medium.

Salutations, David Lewiston