[ARSCLIST] September issue of Black Grooves

The September "Back to School" issue of Black Grooves has now been
posted (www.blackgrooves.org). This month we're taking a look at some
new releases by Midwest artists, including the debut albums of Chicago's
Rhymefest and Cleveland's Ray Cash, as well as the new DVD by Kanye
West, Late Orchestration, recorded live at Abbey Road Studios (with a
string section!). We're also featuring a retrospective of Cincinnati
soul legend Kenny Smith, and from right here in Bloomington, Indiana,
we've got the lowdown on the latest release from the indefatigable David
Baker. Taking a really hard left turn, there's a special reissue from
The Watts Prophets and the new CD by Carl Hancock Rux, which together
offer some of the greatest social commentary ever put on disc. Rounding
out this issue is a compilation of classic Wu-Tang Clan videos, 1950s
gospel music from the Texas-based Peacock label, some early Eddie
Murphy, and as always, a dash of old school funk and soul.

Brenda Nelson-Strauss

Head of Collections

Archives of African American Music and Culture

Indiana University

bnelsons@xxxxxxxxxxx