Re: [ARSCLIST] Paper cuts * going all -digital still not popular [Re: Preservation ]

Sure , It could be slowly and carefully passed through an optical printer or scanned.
LOC is presently preserving their paper print collection via digital scanning methods.
But  it was never projected. And wasn't meant to be.  The paper is very thin and one projection would destroy it. No to mention setting it on fire as it was exposed to the very high temperatures of carbon arc or gas lamphouses of the era. Even an optical printer uses a very low temp light source. A digital scanner even less.

BH

On Sep 5, 2006, at 5:58 AM, Robert Hodge wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Paper prints were generated and  deposited at the Library Of Congress
> as a means of copyright registration.
>
> The medium never saw projection in any form.
>
> BH

Never say never:
"Most recent restoration was a previously lost Mary Pickford short --
Little Red Riding Hood -- the only film of hers made for COSMOPOLITAN
PICTURES that has been found.  The print had the consistency of packing
tape, and was horribly curled from 90 years of remaining wound tightly
-- but it scanned perfectly and showed last week at the Museum of the
Moving Image.

(I haven't seen it yet.)

But so far our gear has restored 2 Chaplin films, a Pickford film,
William S. Hart's first big film, and many more.  Not bad!"
(above from Jeff Kreines, in a private email)
Maybe never before, but now they have been shown! Kinetta.com - see the
preservation article pdf on the downloads page. This is fascinating to
me as I had no idea paper prints were ever made...

<L>
Lou Judson * Intuitive Audio