Re: [ARSCLIST] Can 78s sound better than LPs?

----- Original Message -----
From: "phillip holmes" <insuranceman@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Steven,
> I don't know if anyone answered this, because there was a mile of emails
> with the same subject, but 2A3 (300B, 45, 211, 845, etc. etc. etc..) are
> all being made in Russia, China and the former Yugoslavia.  All are
> competent, but are a pail imitation of RCA, Sylvania and Western
> Electric (and any other American, British or Western European tube
> manufacturer from the heyday of tubes).  They lack most the knowledge of
> the details that made those old tubes last so long and produce low
> distortion.  Also, their equipment is very old and usually out of
> adjustment making grid spacing erratic (wrong mu, amplification factor
> and miller capacitances compared to the ideal tube in the manual).
> There is some domestic manufacture of vacuum tubes (other than CRT,
> microwaves and the like) related to broadcasting.  Eimac I think, or
> Richardson Electronics?  These are, as far as I know, all of the
> ceramic/metal types.  Also, I agree with your assessment on why tubes
> sound good.  They're very user friendly (unless you get your finger on
> the B+).  They compress instead of hard clipping and they usually have
> more headroom than transistors.  The whole chain of microphone through
> mastering, when done in tube, has fewer opportunities for gross
> distortion that you CAN have with transistors and digital, when used
> incompetently.
Well, fifty years ago (+/-) 45's were already not to be found! I haven't
checked out web sites...but, AFAIK, tubes are primarily aimed at the
"Fender tube amp" market, and thus primarily 12AX7, 6V6 and 6L6 (plus
the variants thereof)!

The world tends to adopt new techology and forget old technology
...without realizing that the old stuff often was "better" (in
the sense of results) than the new equivalent!