Re: [ARSCLIST] Can 78s sound better than LPs?

On Aug 25, 2006, at 11:35 AM, Don Cox wrote:

Consumer cassette decks or CD players commonly have an analog output
stage which is under-specified and cannot handle the cable and the input
impedance of the amp correctly.

So what symptoms does it exhibit for "not handling" it correctly?

On such equipment, different connecting cables may be audibly different.
The expensive one will not necessarily be better. There is a strong
placebo effect.

Bingo. Placebo, wishful thinking, magical thinking. His previous CD transfer sound pretty bad - much much more likely to be poor digital convertors or overprocessing of the digits on the way to the CD... Client is sure it is the wrong cables. He's happy now!

A buffer amp with high input impedance and low output impedance between the two boxes is more likely to fix the problem.

Such as? I'm going direct from Nak to Digi 002R's -10 aux input... Probab;y a 10k input, should I try it in the 10 MEG line ins and see if it's different?
<L>