[ARSCLIST] Speed correction, was Re: [ARSCLIST] Can 78s sound better than LPs?

According to my research, after WWII US power companies were synchronized,
with the nominal frequency maintained within +/- 0.5Hz.

See http://www.nscl.msu.edu/~daniel/back/yanczer/motordrv.html and
http://www.usace.army.mil/publications/armytm/tm5-689/c-2.pdf.

There is equipment available that provides a resolution of 0.02Hz. It then
becomes fairly easy to make **basic** (not definitive) speed corrections
using the hum signature. It's more difficult to find the hum signature on
professional, studio recordings, but presumably it's not as important in
those cases anyway.

---
Parker Dinkins
MasterDigital Corporation