Re: [ARSCLIST] Podcasting--explained a bit...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I should probably say something else here. Those of us who speak with
strong words about a high
> quality ethic don't say this just to be arrogant or to elevate ourselves
to some alleged plain of
> "golden ears." It comes down to what Steve Smolian and Bob Ohlsson have
been saying about being
> respectful and true to the original artist and product. THAT was where the
real talent lay -- in
> both the musicians who made the unforgettable takes and in the engineers
and producers who captured
> them for history. We do those people a disservice and show disrespect when
we settle for less than
> the excellence they practiced.

Nevertheless, your comments come across (at least to me) as saying "Record
collecting must be limited to only those who can afford state-of-the-art
equipment, in order to extract every last iota of the recorded
performances...and, as well, collect only mint-condition phonorecords!"

The sad fact is that, first, one's disposable income is not an accurate
reflection of one's interest in discographic history (in fact, I suspect
the reverse may be partially true)...and, second, there are many recorded
performances that no longer exist in any remotely acceptable condition
(especially in the areas of "race records" [blues and jazz] or early
country music).