Re: [ARSCLIST] Can 78s sound better than LPs?

On Aug 25, 2006, at 8:00 AM, Bob Olhsson wrote:

There is no legitimate excuse for ever using less than the very best audio technology available.

Bob -
For small time folks the legitimate excuse is cost and budget! As a professional audio engineer, I can operate a geniune, viable professional audio service with a Mac and a $1,000 I/O device. I could not own and operate a million dollar studio...

Maybe my clients are too poor to deserve the best. Steven is looking at an extremely lower budget, too... I guess the available budget counts asthe very best audio technology available? or not... ??

/Rant mode on
I'm working with a client now transferring his cassette collection to CDs - he insists the previous person who helped him was inferior because they only used the $1,000 "interconnects" instead of the $2,500 wires we are using now to connect his cassette deck to my Digi system. However, I believe I am getting a far superior sound because of the better signal chain - no processing at all except dither!

Interesting process - it is cassettes after all, one would expect it to be poor quality, but we are playing them on the actual deck they were recorded on, and they are original live recordings of a piano, no mixing or anything. 2 mics to cassette. There is plenty hiss and nothing above 16k but fine sound.

I still have a problem with people who think a better piece of wire is going to affect the sound. These audiphiles care nothing at all about the quality of the A/D, the CD type and burn speed, or if they are hearing 16 or 24 bit! I CAN hear a difference between 16 and 24 bit, but not between $10 wires and $2,500 wires, even if you plug them in backwards...

And he doesn't seem to mind that there is ten feet of cheap wire after the digi unit and to my monitor amp... he can still hear the difference between the expensive wires on the input. But the bottom line is, he is happier with my CD transfers of his cassettes than he was with the ones done by the previous guy who owns a real studio. Even on my $400, fifteen year old studio monitors.

rant mode off\ thanks for letting me rave. Don't know if this has anything at all to do with 78s, but it has everything to do with archiving!

(PS Thanks for the referral, Bob!)

<L>

Lou Judson • Intuitive Audio
415-883-2689

There is no legitimate excuse for ever using less than the very best audio technology available.