[ARSCLIST] Kostelanetz

David Lennick wrote:

>It doesn't explain why Kosty's recordings were so awful in the last years
of
>his life. Either he or his producer turned out overmodulated,
over-reverbed,
>over-arranged, souped-up doses of elevator music at ear-splitting volume
with
>no subtlety, no variation and very little musicality. And that goes for
his
>light classical and "Proms" stuff as much as for his pop recordings.

You can safely blame Kostelanetz. When he was working with Teo Macero at
Columbia he often sent Teo 3 or 4-page letters with incredibly detailed
information about the rough mixes and what he wanted changed in terms of
equalization or editing, mastering, etc. He knew what he wanted, and got
it. When I met Macero I asked him about this and he said Kostelanetz was
always a big pain, and he (Macero) simply gave him what he asked for.

Matt Snyder
Music Archivist
Wilson Processing Project