To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 25, 2006 9:39 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Can 78s sound better than LPs?

Marcos wrote:
My question is: is the 78 "system" inherently an inferior product?

No. In principal, a 78 rpm disc can have better frequency response and wider dynamic range than a 33. In fact, the idea of faster=better was revived briefly during the 1970s to make 45rpm 12" classical and jazz discs. The problem, of course, is perceived value. Most people were not willing to pay the same price (or higher price!) for less content. Money and marketing will always determine what the standard becomes.

FWIW, while working at another radio station nearly 20 years ago, I was
introduced to some very fine 78 rmp discs that were made to very high
standards during the early 1950s.  In spite of some disc wear (from being
played so many times over the years), these discs had remarkable fidelity
and superior dynamic range to the best LPs that we had in the library at
the time.  However, these discs were made by real craftsman woriking to
the limits of the technology available.  Most 78s that you run across will
not be produced to such a high standard.

Chas.

--
Charles Lawson <clawson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Professional Audio for CD, DVD, Broadcast & Internet