Re: [ARSCLIST] Early stereo LPs: subject to mononuclearosis?

In a message dated 8/24/2006 4:59:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rbamberger@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I seem to recall hearing in the early 1960s (when I was a mere youth
developing an instinct that would, in due course, mistrust a
civilization that could come up with reprocessed stereo) that playing
stereo pressings on a monophonic record player would harm the stereo LP.
Was this a myth?

I wonder if this warning was aimed specifically at the then common and
popular General Electric Variable Reluctance cartridges. Their unique design had
zero vertical compliance. This still makes them an excellent choice for playing
78s if you don't mind the wear from ten gram tracking force. Most other
cartridges designed for LP had at least some flexibility in that direction.

Mike Csontos