[ARSCLIST] Need help understanding how to get an Important Folk Music collection Accessible

Hi all! I know many archivists are on the list so I figured this the best
place to get the answer.

This weekend at the Philly Folk Festival I became involved in a discussion
with Rochelle Goldstein, the widow of Ken (or Dr. Kenneth) Goldstein who
produced many important Lps from field recordings he made. It seems that his  paper
collection was readily accepted by the University of Mississippi after his
death.

But there were reels and reels of important and vital sound recordings that
his family still had and - because the papers went to Mississippi, they
donated  the recordings as well, hoping that they would be accessible.

These recordings need to be preserved and a researcher (I don't have
details) was able to get an NEA grant to digitalize them before they  deteriorate. He
contacted the University and was told that there could be no  access to the
tapes. Rochelle tried as well but she was told that they were "not
accessionable". Of course she is upset that her late husband's years of work  will turn
to dust and not be able to be used. When I joined the discussion there  was
talk of "hiring a good attorney to gain access". I suggested that there was
probably another way to deal with this and ARSC members would be the ones to
help.

So if anyone has ideas or suggestions, please email me at
_Stevenramm@xxxxxxxx (mailto:Stevenramm@xxxxxxx) , or if you post the  reply to ARSClist, please,
cc me at that address and I'll forward to  Rochelle.

Thanks for your help!

Steve Ramm