Re: [ARSCLIST] NASA (and beyond, far beyond!)

Oh, you ain't so cranky... ;-)

But I spend a lot of my life reading, and a lot of that very intelligent science fiction. I live in the dream of humanity exploring planets and star systems far far away - I know, nothing any of us will see in a lifetime, but the future is totally open ended. I'd rather see money well spent on paving the road, so to speak, to the stars, even if it is thousands of years away. Better than spending money and lives murdering humans for the oil they stand on which will run out IN our lifetimes! I never bought the argument that space research money would be better spent on education and human welfare - because the space budget has always been less than one percent, and with warfare taking about 30% the argument is specious.

I agree, we should not take moneyo ut of automatic probes, but we ought to take half the war department budget and spend that on advancing humaity to the stars...

Okay, this is off topic, but if they can't even keep track of moon videos, what will they be doing with that NASA budget? Building Buicks to go to the moon??? (the space shuttle is so primitive it is embarrassing - I mean, foam blocks? Give me a break, they need titanium, insulated with vacuum like thermos bottles! I knew THAT as a teenager.) I set my sights much, much higher. But then I am an idealist from the start... and humans must get over their petty territiorial squabbles and killings and start looking to the universe. The payoff will be much better - scientific developments as offshoots from space projects is a huge benefit, even if Radar was devwloped to kill people... Teflon was invented to make their lives easier, in the space age.

and imagine space telescopes traveling lightyears and sending pictures back from otherwise unkowable perspectives - Hubble is a baby step! And I love the Hubble images, with the Atsronomy Picture of the day my home page...

Ah well, even intelligent people think I'm a bit wierd. Rant mode off/

<L>

Lou Judson • Intuitive Audio
415-883-2689