Re: [ARSCLIST] Peter Copeland

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in responding to this sad news. I've just returned
from vacation and was shocked and saddened to learn of Peter's passing.
He was a dedicated, if rather eccentric, gentleman with a wealth of
knowledge and I'm sure we will miss his contributions on this list.

Actually, I first met Peter when I was six. He was a tall, gaunt, and
rather intimidating neighbour when I was growing up just outside of
Bristol in the UK. I didn't know much about him then except that he and
his wife were avid birders, he had a vast LP collection that strangely
lacked "Queen: Live Killers", and that he ate Marmite from outrageously
large tin cans. The Copeland's remained good family friends long after
we moved away and they visited us a few times in Canada. Peter always
brought along his recording equipment...and his Marmite.

Over the last few years I've been able to appreciate Peter's true
passion for sound recording. His experience and knowledge was extensive
and as Marie has said, it represents a wonderful legacy that we can all
benefit from. Thanks to Nigel for sending us the news and thanks to
ARSCLIST for allowing us to share our stories.

All the best,
Jonathan Wise

Audio-Visual Archives
Canadian Museum of Civilization