Re: [ARSCLIST] Cataloguing again--more OCLC, AACR2 bashing

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, George Brock-Nannestad wrote:

> From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

> > Stay tuned for the next installment...getting your punctuation
> > right...outrageous isn't it, needing punctuation within a field...a
> > preview...where else in the English language, other than the MARC format
> > do you precede a colon with a space...answer...I don't know...
>
> ----- could this be a left-over from the so-called "colon classification"?
> That was using a colon as a field delimiter when it was realized that the old
> decimal classification system (pigeon-holing) was not helpful for documents
> that did not fall clearly within one subject area. That indeed took a long
> time to realize! You would then - marvel, marvel - use several decimal
> classifications for the same physical object - a book in most cases. To
> distinguish between a colon as part of a title and a colon as a delimiter you
> would have a space before it. Our thoughts are frequently hierarchical in
> structure, indeed it is an advantage to be able to place phenomena correctly
> in hierarchies, only we must realize that several hierarchies relate to a
> particular phenomenon at all times.
>
> Kind regards to all sufferers,

As far as I know, yes, it is taking the colon away from its function as
punctuation and making it function as a delimitor...and while I understand
that within the current construct of the MARC record, delimitors are
needed, even within the given system, a good user interface could
make all delimitors transparent to those creating records,
reducing errors and simplifying the process...assuming of
course, that we can't rid ourselves of the MARC record.

Karl (three more hours till martini time)