Re: [ARSCLIST] LP RECORD STORAGE

Dr. Thurber,

I for one would like a little more detail on your ladder shelves as I'm thinking of building one for equipment--so it won't be exact, but I would appreciate any ideas. I have a handyman who is a good carpenter and the two of us built the studio a year ago at http://www.richardhess.com/tape/facility.htm Lots of fussiness in this, but the store room behind this and a few other places in the basement have a total of 21 18x36x72 storage cabinets, but they, too, are marginal for LPs--at least the ones from Staples here in Canada. It was a good, fast solution and gave me enclosed storage which is good, but I wish I had some more like the one I brought with me from So Cal. It's a bit heavier gauge metal.

Oh, and in the studio, I used all oak dimensioned lumber as it seemed the least likely to warp. All the frames for the fabric wall coverings are 1x2 oak. We bought a drill press to make the holes for the screws that hold the fabric panels together. The panels conceal high-density mineral wool used as an acoustical absorber. I don't find oak that much more expensive than clear pine or poplar. Clear (rock?) maple is even more expensive than oak.

Cheers,

Richard