Re: [ARSCLIST] LP RECORD STORAGE

----- Original Message -----
From: "-=sVo=-" <svorg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> As another on a limited budget, what about plans for making home units?
> Would anyone be willing share time-tested designs for shelving especially
> heavy 78 collections?

Well, I have an acquaintance who has a fairly large collection of
78's (about 10,000), and he uses shelves made up of units about
2' wide by 5' tall, each one with five shelves divided into two
sections by vertical "uprights." Shelves, sides and "uprights"
are made of 3/4" plywood, and (IIRC) the horizontal shelves are
mortised into the vertical "sides" of the unit using router-cut
grooves, with wood screws used for fastening pieces together
(possibly backed up with glue?).

______________ <- 3/4" ply "top"
|      |     |
|      |     | <-3/4" ply "sides" (center vertical is a 11" x 11"
|      |     |                     "upright" piece)
|      |     |
______________ <- one of six pieces of 3/4" ply...two are 24" long
______________    Works best if shelves are about 1/4" lower in back.
|      |     |    or a "stop" of 1/2" half-round can be put at the
|      |     |    front of each shelf, so 78's don't roll off the shelves...
~      ~     ~    (break)
|      |     |
______________ <- position bottom shelf in at least some units 13"
|      |     |    bottom of unit to allow a place to store 12"
|      |     |    records (and LP's if desired)...
|      |     |    Unit will be about 59" high (less if no 12" space
______________ <- at bottom and 24" wide and store 1000-1300 78's
                  in total per unit. They are placed side by side
                  as many as needed.

BTW, I don't use this method...I just have about 400 milk boxes!

...stevenc
http://users.interlinks.net/stevenc/