Re: [ARSCLIST] Beginner's question RE: digital recordings

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the suggestion. The recording engineer at the company we've been working with (www.cuttingarchives.com) has been very helpful and candid with their methods, so I'm sure he won't mind me probing further into the matter. I have no doubts as to their level of skill in doing the conversions, but it would indeed be helpful to know how they went about it. The reference I made to "too high" levels was taken from a paper that representatives from cutting corp and the field museum gave to an ARSC conference this spring, where it was posited that distortions in the grooves in the sonobands themselves were caused from the recordings having been made at an improper levels. Other theories for the misalignment of the grooves centered around the bands shrinking over time, or being distorted due to their manner of storage.

Lisa

From: Tom Fine <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Beginner's question RE: digital recordings
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 14:26:17 -0400

Hi Lisa:

One question immediately comes to mind -- do you know any details of how the recordings that were digitized were done? The "too high level" could be a lousy transfer job. You'd want to know where the transfer person took the output of the sonoband machine (I'd bet they don't have a standard line output) and some details about their process. There is probably a certain amount of distortion inherent to this recording medium, it appears to be a low-fi in-the-field format. So there may only be so much you can do. High noise levels, though, for instance, might be indicative of an impedence mismatch between the Sonoband recorder and the digital recorder. And "too high level" distortion could be a level mismatch (too high output vs. expected input). So, it would be a very Good Thing to find out all details you can about the initial transfers that were done -- and get someone who really knows their stuff to do the transfers of what's left.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lisa NnNnNn" <waterchild7@xxxxxxxxxxx>