Re: [ARSCLIST] Thin tape decay

In a message dated 8/2/2006 12:21:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
loujudson@xxxxxxx writes:
I used to use a umber of 180 cassettes to record 3 hour long radio
programs - they always returned level at about -15 to -20 from normal
record level - they just don't have enough particles to give full
level. Unless you have used them and know from experience, the low
level is not the recordist's fault, but the extra thin tape and
coating...
**********************

I tried using C180s, a lot of ten, but found that the players I had couldn't
handle the thin tape reliably enough. The maximum level that could be recorded
on them definitely was 10 to 15 dB below that of normal C60 or C90s.

I've used, and still am using C120s as am alternative to an ipod. There are
occasional jams and damaged sections, but I'm sure some have been through more
than 100 record-play cycles. The bulk of them are TDK "duplicator master"
bought in bulk years ago, though some recently purchased Maxell UR120s seem OK
too.

As for reel tape, I made extensive use of the "quadraplay" 1/4 mil base
material in the early 60s, making up 5000 foot reels and an auto-reverse 4-track
1-7/8"/s recorder to automatically record a week's worth of "Long John" from
WOR. After about 100 record-play cycles, the oxide became so polished that you
couldn't distinguish it from the base except that it started flaking off on the
edges. To get the extra footage on a 7" reel, I used an old small-core reels.
Eventually a plastic core exploded! I still have some of those reels. I'll see
if I can still play them one of these days.

Mike Csontos