Re: [ARSCLIST] Scotch 200 box photograph -Del's Response

Rod,

Nice interview with John in the latest TapeOp Magazine.

Angie Dickinson Mickle
Avocado Productions
Arvada, CO
www.avocadoproductions.com

Rod Stephens wrote:
Well, I remember the 3M connotation very well in that my brother, John Stephens, originally bought the 3M transport with its unique isometric threading for use with his high signal to noise solid state electronics and transformerless output. Then, when his versions started to be competitive with their total deck plus electronics, they stopped selling John the deck only. That's when John invented his capstanless version to get around their patents. It was a blessing in disquise, since not having a pinch roller allowed the tape to pull more smoothly without physical distortion over his eight, twenty-four and forty track head stacks with resulting better head contact throughout the full length of a reel.

Rod Stephens