Re: [ARSCLIST] bargain du jour

this is a fascinating area for discussion-I think some rigorous research is needed.
I remember little of the TIME LINE of the blues revival - certain critical events stand out in my mind: Sam Charters
"The Country Blues" book, the by subscription release of Charly Patton on Origin, and certainly the Robert Johnson first LP
on Columbia. These were late events in the sequence. Foggy recollections of what was available early in
the game (to non-"race records" audiences) -i.e. the late forties/early fifties: Library of Congress African-American 78's & LP's, Folkways Harry Smith Anthology, Stinson LP's (from 1940's Asch & Disc 78's) of Josh White and Leadbelly. Some Big Bill Broonzy on Columbia 78's, and the Mercury LP (was that 50's????). Riverside, primarily interested
in early jazz issued some blues performances from Paramount 78's (Blind Lemon, Ma Rainey). There were also other primarily jazz labels which had some blues representation (Jax, Jolly Roger) Historical had a jazz and blues
series of compilation LP's, and also a country series. Iirc, the reissues of the 78's spurred the search for
those performers, culminating with the "rediscovery" of Mississippi John Hurt, Son House, et.al. Arhoolie was releasing
important blues performers who were not rediscoveries, demonstrating the vitality of the tradition. Arhoolie LP's were
sold primarily by mail order, through a blues record club before the 'revival' got them into stores (repackaged, slicker
jackets and no mimeographed notes) .
When did Bob Koester's blues recordings become available (Sleepy John Estes, Big Joe Williams...)
In the UK (via Dobell's, they had another trading name for export) there were interesting ep's on Swedish Blues Society,
Collector, and even RCA (a series of 3 ep's, available singly of Leadbelly, Jug Bands, maybe Furry Lewis), a wonderful
German Brunswick LP of rural blues singers - don't remember if that pre-dated Folkways The Country Blues.
There must be interviews with many of the british blues artists which indicate what their sources were - what they
were listening to in the 50's????
What was the relative importance of 20-30's 'country/rural' blues compared to electirc 'Chicago" blues on the British,
and American performers?
There was a series of 3 Rolling Stones lp's issued in Japan which collected the recordings they did in Chicago in homage
to the Chess blues performers. JoAnn Kelly must have heard either originals or reissues, drawing heavily on Memphis Minnie.
Another issue worthy of some discussion - how did information about these recordings get disseminated (Sing Out,
Little Sandy Review covered these, as did the little jazz publications.....what uk publications?.)
I hope someone can put these things into their proper time frame.
Best wishes, Thomas.

steven c wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roger and Allison Kulp" <thorenstd124@xxxxxxxxx>

Oh jeez,where to begin here ? Are you completely brushing aside,labels

like Folkways,Takoma,and Delmark ? Takoma,you recall,also gave us the a
cappella gem "Ever Since I Have Been a Man Full Grown"
http://www.wirz.de/music/takomfrm.htm (I own an original of this.) These
labels introduced many of us buying records in the 60s,to the likes of
Reverend Gary Davis,Sleepy John Estes,Mississippi Fred MacDowell(Paving the
way for his landmark 1969 Lp "I Do Not Play No Rock and Roll",one of the
greatest acoustic blues records ever cut !),Furry Lewis,Blind Boy Fuller,and
Brownie McGhee, amoung others.Now,I will grant you,most of the covers of
such songs,from the period that immediately pop into my head,are by American
bands,from the second wave of blues-rock(1966-72),but I'm sure there were
earlier ones.I'm not at home now,so i can't spend an hour or two poring over
my records.

Not brushing them aside...but those were for the most part specialty
LP labels, and I know I never saw any of them where I shopped (in the
Eastland Mall in Bloomington, Illinois)! When I first went looking
for "blues albums," all they had was the RJ and a couple of Sonny
Terry/Brownie McGhee albums! (the selection of jazz reissue albums
and "dixieland jazz" was, IIRC, even worse!). As well, remember that
it was called the "*British* Blues Invasion," so it referred to
British musicians...and I would guess that their blues-album selection
of the late fifties/early sixties was, if anything, worse. Of course,
the most interested of the US musicians could, and did, collect the
original 78's (notably the brothers Hite)...but the only evidence I
have that blues could be had "across the pond" is one Muddy Waters
78 I own on the UK Vogue label (originally on Chess).

Steven C. Barr
(the sad part was that I was listening to WLAC, and COULD have had
all the blues singles I wanted by mail order...and could have gone
the 150 miles to Chicago [a trip I made often!] and heard/seen
LIVE blues...but what did I know then?!)