Re: [ARSCLIST] Community Radio

I never make very good points the first time around. I'm not disagreeing with anything you say here. What I was trying to say is that people like Hammond tried to find mature acts ready to go. These new A&R guys will try to create new acts that are clones of some other act like Nirvana. 30 years ago, Nirvana would've been pretty much the only band that sounded like Nirvana. But perhaps I'm wrong. I've heard more than one surf band that sounded like another surf band. Same with the British invasion, Motown, doowop, etc.. But there's more than anecdotal evidence that record labels will find a pretty face and produce them into a marketable commodity. They don't even have to sing on pitch any more thanks to digital technology. They don't sing the notes, no problem! They don't pick their clothes. They don't pick their producer. They don't pick the songs. Seems very 1984 (the book) meets Tom Parker.
Phillip
----- Original Message ----- From: "Roger and Allison Kulp" <thorenstd124@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 12:17 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Community Radio

Dylan was found by John Hammond.The same guy who had previously discovered Benny Goodman, Bessie Smith,Count Basie,Billie Holiday,and Pete Seeger,amoung others.Columbia Records pretty much respected his judgement,by 1961,and pretty much gave him carte blanche to sign whoever he wanted.
As for Nirvana,many people do not realize A) Kurt Cobain was quite the record collector,and student of rock history.Pull up a list of the songs he recorded,by other people,especially on the bootlegs.B)Nirvana were unlike anything around at the time,but they were a real throwback,to a lot of lesser-known bands,from the early 70s, who were combining metal,punk,and folk-rock.
Roger Kulp

phillip holmes <insuranceman@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I agree, but it takes someone with some vision (and clout) to sign people
like Bob Dylan. I remember the first time I heard Nirvana. It was pretty
radically different than anything else on the radio. Two years later
everything sounded like Nirvana. And most garage bands sound different from
the next one. But most of those bands won't get polished enough to get a
record contract.
Phillip