Re: [ARSCLIST] "Forever" is hype (was Re: [ARSCLIST] Why sticky shed happened)

DigiPress of France offered a service several decades ago where they made
archival grade glass CD's using an sputtered metal layer with the digital
information etched into it. We tested their quality and it was very good.
User response was insufficient to support their business, so they closed. I
see no reason why a revival in some form would be supported.

Regarding printing binary representations of documents, why not just print
the document itself? Even then, the bulk would severely limit the amount of
information that could be preserved. As an aside, ASCII equivalents of the
English alphabet require seven bits, while USC-2 equivalents of the
multilingual character set require sixteen bits. Binary requires more space
on paper than the graphic representation of the character.

Jerry
Media Sciences, Inc.