Re: [ARSCLIST] "Forever" is hype (was Re: [ARSCLIST] Why sticky shed happened)

I read somewhere that some organization, maybe a government agency, was studying printing binary machine language of certain key digital documents or software and printing on archival paper, the idea being that it would survive a nuclear war and if surviving people could somehow construct a computer and punch this stuff in, they'd be able to recreate the digital content. Might be sci-fi but I'm pretty sure I read it from a reputable news source. This may have been some dot-bomb bs in the 90s, however.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: <Dnjchi@xxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2006 2:47 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] "Forever" is hype (was Re: [ARSCLIST] Why sticky shed happened)

In a message dated 7/1/2006 1:55:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

On 30/06/06, steven c wrote:

Hmmm - maybe there is a real  'forever' in this business. As things
are going, perhaps we should  coin a new slogan: Music copyright is
forever.

1) Well, I have shellac discs approaching their first century  that
show no visible signs of degradation! Of course, "forever" for  a
shellac record implies it isn't dropped, stepped on, immersed in  water
for any significant length of time, exposed to ambient  temperatures
above about 120 degrees F or contacted by any  alcohols...

Much the same as books. I have plenty of books that are well over 100 years old and still fully functional.

2) "Music copyright is forever" seems, so far, to apply only to the USA (though RRIA would like to see at least world-wide applicability, with that extending into outer space as necessary?!). In any case, it can only last as long as the US does (will the radioactive mutant cockroaches be able to play sound recordings eventually...?!)

The longevity of 78s and that of cockroaches is a worthy topic, since the
shellac of the former is from a distent relative of the latter.
Don Chichester