Re: [ARSCLIST] Longevity

On 01/07/06, steven c wrote:

> Steven C. Barr
> (one wonders what would happen if a CD were to be pressed in
> shellac...or are the molecules too large to permit that...?)

I think polycarbonate is tougher and longer-lasting than shellac.

One reason shellac discs last well is the huge size of the grooves,
compared to the dents in a digital disc. A scratch of a size that would
be barely audible on a 78 can stop a CD from tracking.

It might be worth while to press some 78s in polycarbonate rather than
vinyl.

The more information you pack in per square inch, the more easily it is
damaged. Error correction helps but is not a cure-all.

Many users treat digital discs very carelessly.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx