Re: [ARSCLIST] Baking books?

Tom Fine wrote:
This is a little OT, but I figure with a list of preservation experts, someone might know the answer. Is it OK to bake a damp/musty-smelling hardcover book to dry it out? If so, is the "warm" (about 130-150 degrees) setting in a conventional oven OK? If not, what's the recommended what to dry it out. I bought some used books that had obviously been in the kind of basement that invites sticky-shed with tapes. I can read 'em as is, but I'd sure like to be rid of that musty smell and damp feeling to the pages. These books are non-valuable ($1 each), so I don't care if they get a little warped, just want them intact to read (ie don't want to ruin the binding).

The question may be varied to keep it on topic: What does one do with LP covers which have acquired mold? The question is not academic for me, but it is historic. Several decades back, I discovered half a shelf of LPs which had 'benefited' from a small leak. I did sun-dry the jackets, but the aroma (and spores?) would not yield so easily.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/