Re: [ARSCLIST] Ampex 456

The 64 and 40 hour numbers are based upon using a labratory grade
incubation oven.

 The Belfer Audio Archive does not use devices such as food dryers as
part of its' preservation and restoration programs..

R. Hodge

Robert Hodge,
Senior Engineer
Belfer Audio Archive
Syracuse University
222 Waverly Ave .
Syracuse N.Y. 13244-2010

315-443- 7971
FAX-315-443-4866

>>> parker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 6/16/2006 6:12 PM >>>
Agreed. I have Bill Lund's notes on this subject for an AES
presentation he
made, and his recommendations are largely consistent with a Quantegy
engineer's recommendation who contacted me several years ago.

I can only guess that the 64 hours and 40 hours suggestions for baking
time
are for food dryers or some other low wattage device.

When confronted with the much larger mass of the 2" tapes, low wattage
devices might well take much longer to reach the desired temperature. A
good
convection oven with steady air movement that reaches and maintains
the
proper temperature shouldn't take 64 hours.

I routinely used to treat up to fourteen (14) 2" reels of Ampex tape
for ten
(10) hours with excellent results, all at one time. There were spaced
with
1/4" hubs for improved airflow. That's something like 140 pounds of
tape.

And the tapes I treated were stored in New Orleans, where there is
plenty of
moisture.

---
Parker Dinkins