Re: [ARSCLIST] Stereo records.

Discrete SACD players really aren't 'done' anymore. They're all 'universal' players that can do DVD-A as well. The least expensive option is probably the Sony SCD-CE595 combo CD/SACD player. A good universal option for not much money is the Yamaha DVD-C750. If you're looking to go up in budget, high end SACD players get up into the mid five digits (dCS with their Verdi La Scala and Elgar Plus D/A to name one). Keep in mind that on most players, using bass management requires a conversion to PCM and will degrade the sound. The Outlaw Audio ICBM is a great workaround for this although it costs more than some players ($199)!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rod Stephens" <savecal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, June 18, 2006 1:22 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Stereo records.

Hello All,

phillip holmes wrote:

I'm glad that I'm not imagining stereo bass. What I have that's really impressive is on CD and SACD. Vinyl isn't the greatest for subterranean bass. And consumer R2R tape seems inferior to vinyl in that regard. Doesn't tape roll off pretty fast below 30 Hz?

<snip>

I'd like some advice on the purchase of a SACD player. I've been reading some glowing reports on that kind of new media sound and wonder if it's worth the price (?) whatever that might be? Are we talking about an expensive investment and does that include a new amplifier/speaker array (mine is currently five, three in front and two surround)? Currently, I love the wide range sound I get with my two 12" woofers, mid-range and tweeter transducers and a separate central channel and the two (side) rear speakers switchably controlled by Dolby Pro Logic (in or out). I'm guessing I'll have to come up with a whole new discrete five to seven channel system (plus speakers) to be able to use the full capability of SACD.

Thanks for all of the knowledgeable comments that I know will be forthcoming.
Rod Stephens