Re: [ARSCLIST] Stereo records.

On Friday 16 June 2006 21.14, steven c wrote:

> Shortly after 1923, Victor began offering phonograph-Radiola
> combinations... using RCA-made radios...

You know what? I completely forgot about that. Did they include radios? Or was
that left for a third party installation? I also recall reading that
Brunswick marketed acoustic phonographs with RCA Radios built in, so
technically the RCA arrangement with Victor wasn't exclusive.

> RCA Victor essentially "adopted" the history of Victor and its Berliner
> antecedents when RCA and Victor merged in 1929. Around 1950 or so, there
> was a special "commemorative" record pressed to promote the 50th
> anniversary of their carbon-black supplier, which reissued "the oldest
> record in the Victor vaults," a 1901 banjo solo

I have this somewhere, a 7" microgroove 78 commemorating Huber Carbon Black,
with Vess L. Ossman's "Tell Me Pretty Maiden" from Floradora.

As I recall we had a discussion about this Ossman track on 78-L a few years
ago...if memory serves, the usual gang of suspects (you, me, Biel, and
Lennick) discovered that RCA actually reissued two different takes of this
particular song, recorded a year or so apart, during this time - but probably
not for the same commemorative record.

Michael Shoshani