Re: [ARSCLIST] Ampex 456 - tip of the iceberg...chemistry

----- Original Message ----- From: "Goran Finnberg" <mastering@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2006 11:53 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Ampex 456 - tip of the iceberg...chemistry

Steven C. Barr:

One wonders...if there is moisture involved, and thus present in the
"defective" tapes...would it be possible to use a microwave oven
(which requires water molecules to create heat) to "bake" the tapes?

It is a fact that the recommended way to treat AGFA 468/469, from those batches during a year around 1990, that were found to go sticky, and in fact the only AGFA tape to go sticky and only from production during a year as far as I know the story...

IS to bake it in a microwave oven according to the AGFA memo issued at
that time.

This was reported by Dave Collins Chief Mastering Engineer at A&M
records who reported that he was visited at A&M by a technical
representative of AGFA GEAVERT GmbH who set it all up and guided David
Collins through the procedure and left the Technical memo.

I would love to get my hand on a copy of that memo for sure.

-- Best,

Goran Finnberg
The Mastering Room AB
Goteborg
Sweden

E-mail: mastering@xxxxxxxxx

Learn from the mistakes of others, you can never live long enough to
make them all yourself.    -   John Luther

-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.9.0/368 - Release Date: 6/16/2006