Re: [ARSCLIST] Stereo records.

Many mastering engineers would sum the low bass to mono. The good ones also have an oscilloscope to look out for hot out of phase signals.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Cox" <doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2006 8:17 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Stereo records.

Hello Steven

On 17/06/06, Steven Smolian wrote:
It's long been a theory of mine that record club issues were cut to
track more easily on less expensive machines. The most expensive part
of the retail record business is returns. My real early edition of
"Bridge over Troubled Waters" on LP seems to have more bass than any
later issues.

In a stereo LP, the vertical movement is the difference signal, so a disc can be cut to be more easily played by reducing the separation.

It also helps if the bass drum is placed in the centre rather than in
one channel.

But mono could be hard to track too. I was told the the original LP issue of Beecham conducting the "Enigma Variations", as issued by Philips in Europe, would not play on any Philips record player. That would be in 1955.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx