From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Richard L. Hess
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 2:30 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Repairing (or purchasing) a Uher

At 03:09 PM 6/14/2006, Scott D. Smith wrote:
>The Studer B-67, A-810, and Otari
>MTR-10/12 would all be good candidates for this purpose, and probably
>the Ampex ATR-100 as well. Any of these machines will treat the tape
>much more gently than the Uher ever will.

None of these machines (except ATR Services' supply of ATR-100 parts)
have readily available spares anymore. Only the A807 is supported.

I haven't tried getting the A810 "jeeped" to 1-7/8 in/s but with the
native vari-speed it doesn't get close enough.

As for 15/16, the APR-5000 capstan servo is unstable at that speed using
an external varispeed drive. I had hoped to be able to run logging tapes
on my Sony transports because of the challenges of maintaining the
Dictaphone and other one-off (for me) machines. I stock APR-5000 parts
(as in used carcasses) in depth, and many of those work on the APR-16 as
well.

Here is a report on my experimentation with the APR-5000 and APR-16 in
non-circuit-modified slow-speed modes.

http://richardhess.com/notes/2006/03/06/sony-apr-speed-experiments/

>We have modified two of our machines to play at 1 7/8 IPS with good
>success.

Which machines? B67? A810?

>I'm not sure what the issues are with getting the capstan servo to run
>at 15/16 IPS, but it is probably relatively simple, as the speed is
>changed by a series of logic divider chips.

As long as the overall system is stable. I'm starting to think the best
use of my ReVox A77 at this point would be a 15/16 and 15/32 deck, but
I'd still rather convince the APR-5000s to do that as I have many more
head options for that platform and since there's only a play hum shield
in the A77 you can't really use the record nest for an alternate format
head, even on the MK III machine with the Mu metal hum shield below the
heads.

>You might want to contact John French at JRF and see if he can provide
>some specific recommendations. Their phone is 973-579-5773.

I can second the recommendation for JRF - great guy.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                   email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Detailed contact information: