From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Language Laboratories and
Archives
Sent: Wednesday, 14 June 2006 8:51 a.m.
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Repairing (or purchasing) a Uher

The University of Chicago Language Laboratories and Archives has four
old Uhers (4xxx models) (used by various faculty in the field). None of
them works, but two of them seemed repairable. I sent them out at the
end of last year and got them back a week or so ago. Apart from personal
problems for the proprietor, there was a delay in getting parts from
Germany--and then only one machine was actually "repaired". I put it
that way because, when it came back, it still did not work properly.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can get this repaired? I
need the 1 7/8 ips (and would like to have the 15/16 and 3 3/4 ips) for
some of the tapes in the archive.

I have looked on eBay. Prices seemed good (but I was delayed on bidding
due to questions of who will pay!), but I have never used eBay and don't
have a sense of whether I will actually get something that works. Does
anyone have any suggestions?  of alternatives?

Barbara

Barbara Need
Manager (SS4), Computer Support, Archivist