Re: [ARSCLIST] Vanguard Classics reappears in 2 cd sets

Don Cox wrote:

> On 11/06/06, David Lennick wrote:
>

> > My local classical station WNED-FM (I don't consider the CBC or CFMX
> > worthy of passing gas at) pushes SACDs all the time, and either
> > Borders or Barnes & Noble had a display rack of them last year with a
> > decent sale price....problem was that there was NOTHING I'd pay more
> > than ten bucks for, except for the Dorati Ancient Airs & Dances disc.
> > Same old Reiner, Heifetz, Rubinstein and a certain overrated Texas
> > pianist I've spent 48 years trying not to listen to.
>
> But have you actually listened to those Reiner recordings on SACD?
>
> You can hear a lot more of the music than you can on the CD or LP
> versions. Heifetz' violin is much more pleasant to listen to.
>
> Regards
> --
> Don Cox
> doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Valid argument, based on even radio transmissions I've heard of some of these
discs. As I noted a few months ago, the 1950 Kleiber Beethoven 7th sounds
incredible on the new Decca reissue (and that's not a SACD, just something that
proves that Decca finally figured out how to play its old tapes..their first CD
reissues of mono recordings were appalling).

On the other hand, Heifetz Schmeifetz. If I don't like the performance, new
packaging isn't going to make me suddenly sit up and say "Wow! Have I been
wrong about those 50s recordings all my life, especially the Tchaikovsky!"
Reiner, yes.

dl