Re: [ARSCLIST] My response to--Re: [78-l] Viva vinyl

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello,

David Lennick had observed:

.............. As for Crapitol, I got the tour of the plant and watched as a "lady
> of a certain age", whose job it was to check the mothers before they were used
> to make stampers, performed "quality control"....she threw the disc onto a
> turntable (without bothering to center it, and its hole was a half inch in
> diameter), dropped the tone arm onto it and played it for five seconds, and
> went on to the next one. I made sure not to get the recording she'd just
> approved.

----- actually what she listened for was the quality of the groove surface
(grainy, swishy, etc.) on each and every mother. If the test failed, it was
back to forming a new mother from the negative. This was to test the success
of the galvano work. You would not have been able to get any Capitol record
at all that was not passed that way. A different setup would be used to check
- statistically - the quality of the pressings.

Kind regards,

George