Re: [ARSCLIST] Vanguard Classics reappears in 2 cd sets

On 03/06/06, Tom Fine wrote:

> I recently found out that at least some if not all Command Classics
> were mastered to 2-track at the same time the LPs were cut, the same
> MO as Mercury Living Presence. If that's true, those 2-tracks are
> probably around and in decent shape. Several of the Virgil Fox records
> have been licensed for CD issue, mastered from the 2-track tapes.
> However, at least one side of one album was not found and a terrible
> LP transfer with super-aggressive noise-reduction was used for part of
> the CDs. The same group did a DVD of the Fox Wannemaker album, with
> the video being a "digital light organ" and the 2-track tape turned
> into a 5.1 channel Dolby surround presentation. It's actually not bad
> at all, just turn the TV off if you don't like the strange light show.
> There's a regular 2-channel CD with a pretty good transfer from the
> 2-track tape included in the package. I wish there was enough interest
> in the Command orchestral stuff to license and reissue some of it. The
> Pittsburgh/Steinberg stuff was really good.

One problem is that there is a flood of reissues of excellent classical
performances from the 1950s and 60s - far more than anyone except
millionaires can afford to buy.

That especially applies to mainstream repertoire. I already have a
couple of dozen "Emperor" concertos, accumulated over the years. I am
quite resistant to buying another, however amazing the performance.

So I am not sure that expensive restoration of the Command tapes would
make commercial sense. This is the kind of thing that should be
supported by a Trust or by UNESCO.

Regards
--
Don Cox