Re: [ARSCLIST] ARC

Karl, the recordings which were in Lawton were given to us in 1985, and
they (along with everything else which has been given to us since then)
form what is now known as the Ozier Sound Archives here at the Music
Library at North Texas.  The total on this is approaching half a million
items by our estimates.  We also have a considerable number (and great
variety) of players, all in good working condition by now, which came to
us from the same source.  I apologize for not making this fact more
widespread among my colleagues here in the Lone Star State, not to
mention to one of our distinguished alums!

Best wishes, Morris Martin, Head Music Librarian, University of North
Texas (as you know!)

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, Francesco Martinelli wrote:

> I just learned about ARC (www.arcmusic.org) and the first impact
leaves me
> more than a little skeptical. This group of benefactors seems to be
in
> isolation from the rest of the sound archival community, or even
competing
> with it, and the goals/means/holdings are a little bit confusing to
me. Or
> maybe I am yellow because of the Robert Johnson pristine Vocalion
they are
> displaying....
> I would like to hear comments form the list about this initiative.

Thanks for sharing.

I know of other similar initiatives.

www.americanclassicalmusic.org

They maintain an uncataloged collection of recordings.

I am reminded of a "Museum" that was devoted to recordings...as I
recall
it might have been in Lawton Oklahoma? It was called something like
the
Record Museum of the Southwest? Anyone know what happened to them?

While I don't know the origins of the ARC, I believe that many
such initiatives come from the perception...one I
share...that the operational modalities of libraries are too
encumbered,
to efficiently handle such substantial collections, lack the subject
and technical expertise to both administer and preserve such
collections...and, at least from my personal experience...place
relatively
little value on the materials and skills to maintain and develop the
collections.

Your note reminds me of several of my friends who collect and have
called
themselves archives...Nathan Brown and his Classical Recordings Archive
of
America...Charles and Elizabeth Pizer, the Pizer Archives, Gregor
Benko,
the International Piano Archive (now at the University of
Maryland...while
they have shelves and a most highly informed curator in Donald Manildi,
am told they are horribly understaffed), etc...

I will look forward to hearing other comments on the ARC...and perhaps
on
the development of recordings archives outside the institutional
setting.

Karl