Re: [ARSCLIST] Triage, heroic efforts, and economics

Peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
While I agree with most of what Peter Copeland says below, I sadly must
disagree with his assumption that "Future restoration processes should
inevitably be better than present-day ones."

I am on a number of technical commissions that are involved in writing
preservation standards dealing with magnetic tape and, having passed my 50th
birthday, I am the youngest active member on these commissions.  To me, the
greatest danger we face in the preservation of much of our recorded material
is the rapid obsolescence of qualified technical personnel.

(One advantage of bottom-posting is that it is easy to remove debris that accumulates along a thread. In this case and IMHO, Peter's post was all that needed to be kept.)

There is no disagreement here. The methods will surely improve - or at least not get worse - even as the media decay. The issue is choosing the best time(s) to transcribe assuming that resources give the archivist a choice.

A related instance is that of the Mapleson cylinders. These live recordings from the wings of the Metropolitan Opera in 1900-1903 are sometimes the only and often by far the best captures of singers of legendary stature. However, each time such a cylinder is played it is degraded. Some were transferred by Seltsam and issued on IRCC. When captured systematically and issued by NY Public Library about three decades later, the effect of the earlier playing was evident. The Library, which now owns the known cylinders, had some dream of capturing them again with modern technology for publication on CD. Failure to find a publisher is at least one factor in the dream not yet approaching reality.

But is this the time for that transcription? Should one wait another year or five or twenty so that the inevitable damage will be minimized and the transfer will be more precise and more listenable? And if done today, would improvements in five years mean that redoing the transfer would be infeasible?

Like comedy, transfer may all be in the timing.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/