Re: [ARSCLIST] IBM Claims 6.67 billion bits per square inch for data tape

Karl Miller wrote:
On Tue, 16 May 2006, Richard L. Hess wrote:

High density data tape still the "champ" according to this article:

http://www.eet.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=187203437

Thanks for the forward. Can someone help me...I recall an article in the
not too distant past where some "IBM" scientist claimed that magnetic tape
offered the greatest longevity for the storage of information...is my
memory correct? and if so, am I the only person who finds it
interesting that our data tape "champ" is produced by...."IBM?"

Longevity of information on any medium is determined by durability of the medium and its retention of information. Data on tape storage may illuminate the first of those (depending on tape formulation as we know all too well), but the second is unlikely to have carryover from previous technologies.

In short: the jury is out and not expected back for quite some time.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/