Re: [ARSCLIST] Triage, heroic efforts, and economics

In a message dated 5/2/2006 4:56:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
arclists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Jim and I both think this is worthy of further discussion around the
archival community and I think a good place to start is how does an
archive evaluate the economic tradeoff? When does it make sense to
try and preserve the content? When is it time to merely perform last
rites without attempted recovery?

If the material can be made part of "the iPod nation" then the decision could
be partly based on whether one can imagine enough general interest to recover
the cost of restoration through "museum sales" or some such. Of course this
links to the copyrights issues.

Mike Csontos